Thursday, November 29, 2012

Dissecting My First Print Ad- COFFEE...(yay!)

Practically everyone nowadays depends on the Internet for social networking, researching for homework, looking up something, and much more. It seems like the most common place for free WiFi is at a coffee shop. Around my neighborhood, every Starbucks I see is filled with college students researching or studying for a class on their laptops. Other people seem to use coffee shops as their office! We're constantly using the Web for many different purposes and hotspots are a great place to stay on task.

As I was surfing the web, as I usually do in the evenings, I came upon this print ad while searching pictures of coffee. (Don't ask why I was looking up coffee images...) When I first saw it, I didn't quite understand what the message was. I thought it was just one of those "latte art" kind of pictures, until it hit me like BAM. I realized that the image inside the coffee cup was of the WiFi logo! From there, I definitely knew where this print ad was going. The message was pretty much about free WiFi at a coffee shop; and my thought was correct. Below the cup of coffee, it said, "Free WiFi now available."

The whole print ad was quite simple. Just a classic cup of coffee with the WiFi logo. The only words that are on the ad are "Free WiFi now available" and "Brucciana: Family Craft Bakers and Cafe". The color in the pictures is just like it is in reality, but it also has a comforting vibe to it. The color of the wood table is a nice, deep earthy brown and it matches the brown of the coffee. Although I'm more tempted to just buy the coffee, than use the WiFi, I guess that was the purpose of the ad. The print ad also does a good job with making the words stand out from the dark brown, and it catches our attention. But, the size of the font was a bit too small. Nonetheless, if I was a student in the UK, this ad would for sure intrigue me. I would immediately take advantage of the free WiFi and practically use the cafe as a second home to do homework.

In my opinion, this ad was fairly effective in getting the point across to the consumer. However, it might not be immediately obvious, but once you see the WiFi logo, the message should be clear. I really liked the rich shades of brown in this ad because it gave a cozy feel. I searched on Google this cafe and discovered it's located in the UK. Bummer...it seemed like a cool place. Maybe it's just because I'm obsessed with coffee, but I would totally fall for this cafe. This print ad is very creative and it should be successful in attracting customers.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Olivia! Nice post :) I like how you talked about colors and noticed the wifi symbol in the coffee. In my opinion, I think that the ad was not as effective as it could have been because it was too vague in describing what it was mainly about: the coffee. I feel like Brucciana was trying to sell its wifi more than it was trying to sell the coffee itself (although its free). I can completely understand you are saying though! :)

    ReplyDelete