Saturday, December 1, 2012

Glasses? or No Glasses? Funny Ads

There are several different causes of poor eyesight. Whether it's from reading without sufficient lighting to playing too many video games to just family genes, we all eventually need glasses.

I,  personally, needed glasses when I was in the 7th grade. Although I didn't read a whole lot in my younger days, I did have a thing of being on the computer for hours on end. Yeah...not the best habit to have. But, since I got glasses, I had friends who told me to change into contacts. Deciding to get contacts was fairly difficult, until I finally got them the summer before sophomore year. Okay, enough of my little history with glasses and whatnot. I was actually searching for ads related to glasses because I have friends who are debating whether or not to get glasses or contacts. I saw these ads and they were hilarious! (at least to me they were...)

So, all these ads were pro to glasses. Each picture was comparing a person with and without glasses. It seemed to me that the one with glasses was much better because they words that were used to describe the person with glasses had a more positive connotation. Like fashion designer and Dr. Professor had a better connotation than devil's angel and truck driver. In society, a person can be judged differently if they have glasses. In this ad, it's probably better to have glasses because you look more intelligent.

Let me start from the first picture. So, it's a girl who's called easy without glasses and hard with them. I wasn't too sure what the girl was, but it seemed to be one of those "strange" occupations. If you know what I mean...Because by the way she is dressed, in a tube top, and the emphasis on her boobs with the defined lines, it seems like she isn't a super academic person, but that's a bad generalization. Oh well, this is just my opinion. With the description of "easy", it might just mean that she's one of the typical people who just work in the business, but with glasses she might be a "nerd" kind of girl, who doesn't know much, making her "hard". I didn't really like that first picture, but it was interesting...

Onto the next picture, it shows this punky guy on the left and he's described as hell's angel. He seems to be one of those motorcycle, tough guy kind of people. On the right however, with a pair of orange glasses, he's a "fashion designer". His style immediately changes with the glasses because they detract away from his devilish eyebrows. The bright color of his glasses are just like fashion designers nowadays, with their quirky color combinations, and the one ear piercing adds to that odd designer style.

In the last picture, it shows a gruffy looking guy described as a truck driver, without glasses, and a professor, with glasses. I found this picture particularly funny because a truck driver can be transformed into a professor with just an accessory. The style of the glasses are key in what a person becomes with them on. If you choose a style that doesn't suit you, how people judge you can become more negative rather than positive.
In the small box on the right, the brand of glasses and their motto are stated. I definitely say that the wording in that box are way too small for anyone to read, unless they zoom into the picture or post the ad a it bigger. Their motto is "Get the Respect You Deserve". I guess that means to get glasses or else you will be underestimated. I just thought that the motto was portrayed well with the ads. But, I feel that their saying can be interpreted in an offensive way. It could mean that you, without glasses, look sketchy, but with them, your look is greatly improved and seem like a success.

Overall, these ads were funny to me because each picture's comparison were true. As a prospective customer, I would probably get glasses, since it would make me look "better". However, it all depends on how you interpret the ad. Like you could be going for the tough look so you might not want glasses. Or you could be like me, who didn't want to look like a nerd, and get contacts. I liked the words that were used to describe the people. The colors were kind of funky, but I didn't care much for them because I was more attracted to the people. These ads were fairly effective and should do pretty well in converting people to wear glasses.





No comments:

Post a Comment