Friday, December 7, 2012

Free Samples While Supplies Last! Aveeno's New Shampoo :D

Ok, so I found a print ad with words this time (just as I said in my last blog post). I found this ad during critical thinking earlier this week while we were observing what needs and techniques are being portrayed. This ad caught my eye when I saw the words "discover STRONG, HEALTHY HAIR with life" The emphasis of strong, healthy hair attracts the consumer.

There definitely is a need to nurture in this ad. Why else would there be a little girl? It makes consumers want to care for their daughters, just how they would care for themselves. The three words that are emphasized show a positive connotation of the result from using the product. Most women have dry, brittle hair nowadays because of all the styling they do and from other causes. So, by using this product, it would restore the health of hair and make it stronger. There are several needs and techniques that apply to this ad. As I said earlier, the need to nurture is present. I'm not too sure what the connection is between mother and daughter and the purpose of this ad, but this naturally would appeal to a mother's instincts to take care of her child.

Another need that is depicted in this ad is the need to satisfy curiosity. To the right of the ad, where the words are, it said that using this product can help reduce hair breakage by 90% in just 3 weeks. This statistic is supported with a diagram that shows a hair strand before and after using this shampoo. The diagram is vague, however, because it doesn't state how long the product has been used for. Usually, the elapsed time is stated somewhere in the fine print, but in this ad, I don't see it at all. That means, this shampoo could take 3 weeks or more to restore your hair health. The little * after "3 washes" was to tell that this is compared to non-conditioning shampoo. So, the results vary quite a bit. It might not even work at all.

A technique that is used in this ad is magic ingredients. Why do I say that? Well, under the statistic, in the little box, it says Active Naturals Wheat Complex. Aveeno doesn't say what this does exactly for their product, but it makes them sound cool. This "wheat complex" probably is some special formula that makes Aveeno better than competing brands because it makes hair softer. That's just my opinion of what I think it is. What do you think it is? In this ad, I spotted a weasel word. That word was "help". This product may or may not work on some people, but the word help makes it seem like it would be successful. This ad was also vague because there were many words that had positive connotations. Like the words "nourish, target, and strong", it gives the consumer the thought that this shampoo will condition their hair and make it stronger. Another technique that I observed was bribery. On the bottom left corner, there's a little box that says there is a free sample if text to that number, while supplies last. This is allows for the consumer to try the product before making an actual purchase. It attracts customers to get this product because, naturally, we're greedy and we like free things. Exigency is also incorporated into the bribery because it says "while supplies last". We don't know how long supplies will last, so we're encouraged to text immediately for a free sample.

This ad was fun to analyze because there were so many elements to dissect. I believe it was fairly effective, but it was very vague. To a normal customer, who doesn't look into ads like critical thinking students, they would be pretty convinced to buy Aveeno's new shampoo. As for me, I feel like the ad is a bit skeptical because of the vagueness.

(Sorry the ad is so big, I wanted you guys to see the words. My iTouch's camera quality is kinda lame...but it's readable :D)

1 comment:

  1. I have yet to try this shampoo, is it still available?
    xo,
    ~Pauline @Kallony

    ReplyDelete