Sunday, January 13, 2013

As Gently As a Feather (Olay)

The next few posts that I'll post were ads that were chosen by my cousin while she was here over break. I told her to mark ads that appealed to her and then I would ask her why it caught her eye. She didn't even know this was an ad for facial hair removal until she read the words. My cousin doesn't have any facial hair issues, but colors appealed to her.

For this ad, my cousin said the model was pretty and the colors used were complementing. So definitely the color scheme was successful; the soft pastel-y pinks and yellows appeal to women, specifically "girlier" women . Considering my cousin loves the color pink and yellow, this ad is like perfect for her. 

On to the words and phrases used in this ad. "Remove even coarse, stubborn facial hair as gently as a feather." The words coarse and stubborn, make women feel assured because this product is capable of removing those annoying little hairs. The simile of "as gently as a feather" shows how gentle this product is to skin. I guess that's why the model is holding a feather near her lip, to show the gentleness of this facial hair remover. The word "gently" gives the women the thought that this product is sensitive to their skin. 

For sure the need for attention is part of this ad. Women are conscious of their appearances, at least most of the time they are...Facial hair isn't quite the most appealing to men making women feel "ugly". This product will help remove that annoying fuzz and make women happy about their look. As for the technique, I believe it's simple solutions. To be honest, I kinda lost my techniques sheet and I don't quite remember all of them...If you have them, feel free to tell me what you think the techniques are. This product minimizes irritation and it effectively removes facial hair.

I would say this ad isn't effective because there's too much that's said about this product. I think most women prefer simpler ads because they're easy to read and it's easier to browse through them. The phrase that would probably sell this product would be "as gently as a feather". 


(I've seriously been posting wayyy too much about cosmetics...have any ideas what I should analyze next? Thanks!)





No comments:

Post a Comment